Ron, on the i5 for Disaster Recovery, go back to your business partner and
get them to configure a High Availability box.  IBM has some fairly decent
discounts if the box is HA only.

Am sending you two documents in an email to you directly.

**************************
Have a blessed day!
Anne C Lucas
Customer Account Executive
Genisys Group Inc, an IBM Business Partner

Work      205-823-4831
Mobile   205-746-6850
eFax         615-250-4889
AOL Instant Messaging:  So Anne Lucas

ron_adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
05/26/2005 09:23 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Help me Justify iSeries

My boss has the impression that running on the iSeries/AS400 is more
costly than a Wintel platform with something like Oracle or SQL Server.

I'm a staunch supporter of the iSeries, however, my boss who came from a
Microsoft environment seems to think its so much more expensive to stay on

the iSeries due to hardware and software costs. How can I convince him
that this where our business needs to be? Or, has the time come to give up

the fight?

BTW: the scale-tipping factor was the high cost of a backup machine for
D-R purposes. We're looking at about $20K to buy a new low-end 520 with
V5R3 and enough DASD to put in another location as a hot-site. The
production machine is an Enterprise Class 520 that we purchased in Sept of

last year. The total cost including all of our software licenses was
around $200K.  I hate to say it, but I think he may be right. I agree that

iSeries is a stable and secure platfor that is highly capable of running
our business, but unfortunately, they're only looking at the bottom line.

Thanks,

Ron Adams