> From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
>
> While we do stay extremely current with hardware and software,
> and we do tend to use a wide variety of IBM software and utilities,
> I'm sure there are other customers that use more esoteric ones.
> Heck, Joe, I'd bet you've done more web work.

True enough.  But then again, web work tends to be messy and a lot of it
is done either in WebSphere or in the browser, and neither one of those
is as strictly OS/400, to my mind (you can argue WebSphere, but I'll
leave that for today).

> I think a big part of it is that I don't take grief.  I open a pmr at
the
> drop of a hat.  Even if I've figured out a workaround, why should
anyone
> have to?

Yeah, but I take that into account.  I know you're a stickler for IBM
getting it right, which is your prerogative.  You pay a ton of money and
if you want to make sure you get your worth, that's your right.  And in
a way, it's a damned noble effort.  I can only imagine how many people
have not had problems because you made IBM fix them first.  (At the same
time, that points to what is still a difference between the two
companies: I contend you're STILL far more likely to get a solution from
IBM than from Microsoft.)

But even with your PMR propensity <grin>, you find a higher incidence of
what I consider to be A-level defects in the code than anyone I know.
But then again, most of us in the field are NOT early adopters; we long
ago learned that the newer stuff often needs a little shakeout.

Which I guess Walden could point to as "customer-level beta testing,"
hmmm?  Maybe I need to do an honest apples-to-apples comparison of
defect rates.  I think I'll wait for Longhorn, since I'm already too
jaded with XP.

Joe