> From: Steve Richter
>
> "..The reason interactive jobs were not enabled to support
multi-threaded
> applications is that large pieces of the internal OS which they use
are
> not
> capable of handling multiple threads.  The cost to multi-thread enable
the
> whole system was huge.  Therefore the decision was made (way back when
> this was orginally done) to support multiple threads in those
> environments that did not require an entire rewrite of major portions
> of the internals of the OS. ..."

No bugs here.  Traditional 5250 doesn't need it, and if you want an
event-driven UI, use something other than 5250.

> The cost may be huge to enable multi threading in OS400 but it has to
> be done to keep the system competitive. Otherwise this marketing
> windfall will not achieve what we hope it will.

OS/400 already is multi-threaded.  Just not the interactive part, which
can be done quite nicely with data queues.

> Threads are just one of the improvements that have to be made to the
> system.  IBM also needs a comprehensive approach to programming
> languages that rivals the .NET CLI.   As things are now, code written
> on the Windows .NET platform is completely reusable in all aspects of
> .NET. From spreadsheets to web sites.  The same is not true on IBM
> platforms.  There is no comprehensive CLI on IBM systems.

Okay, now we've devolved into complete buzzword-powered trolling.  I'll
let somebody else deal with this gibberish.  I have work to do.

Joe