On the 520's I've seen, at least during install, I've noticed the yellow
Attention light comes on a lot, sometimes stays on for ages (eventually
going out - usually, although once it stayed on while the system ran
normally, so I had to power down and take out the power cord to finally
get it to go off), and you're not sure if the machine is hung or not
because the SRC codes don't change for a while.  A simple "I'm alive"
indication from even a single flashing processor activity light would give
you the assurance that at least SOMETHING is happening and it's not time
to force power off and restart.  Besides, I've been used to the blinking
lights through the 360/3/32/34/36/38/400/iSeries - how DARE they take them
away now !  ;-)

...Neil

rob@xxxxxxxxx
2004/10/04 11:36

cc

Subject
Re: Model 520 hardware

Starting with LPAR, and especially with the i5, those indicator lights
have went out the window.  I have seen individual jobs appearing with
500+% of the CPU.  How do you get the bar graph to map to that?

Group Dekko Services, LLC

Neil Palmer/DPS <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
10/03/2004 11:28 PM
Please respond to

cc

Fax to

Subject
Model 520 hardware

I've just installed my second model 520 in 3 days, another coming up
Tuesday.

For those who have seen one, where is the CPU activity/processor run light
?
We could all tell when the CPU was busy on older systems by looking at the
little green light, how bright was it/how fast was it blinking.  Then we
progressed to the "bar graphs" on the control panel.  As far as I can tell
(and I haven't actually found any documentation on how to USE the control
panel after searching for over 30 minutes in InfoCenter - just
documentation on how to remove/replace one) the model 520 has neither.  If
that's true, then that really SUCKS BIG TIME and IBM should be hit over
the head at Sound Off at COMMON for the lousy design.  If it's just a
hidden feature on the control panel 2-line display that I can't find
because I can't find any documentation, can someone please tell me HOW to
get it to display processor activity?

...Neil