By listing multiple members. I tried wildcards, but no good. Then ran grep
with -h flag to get help text. Got syntax.

I'm at v5r1. Have no idea why Terry's attempts are not working.

Here's a listing of what I did, using F6:

  $

  pwd

  /Vern

  $

  cd
/qsys.lib/vern.lib/splf.file
  $

  ls

  CMPEXDFN.MBR    PEXDFN.MBR

  $

  tail
pexdfn.mbr
      *ALL

  Selected MI Complex
Instructions:
      *NONE

  Selected
Events:
      Category  : TRCTYPE              -  Command Trace
Types
           SLTEVT                      -

      Category  : BASEVT               -  Base
Events
           PMCO                 PMCO   -  Performance Measurement Counter
Overflow
      Category  : DSKSVREVT            -  Dasd Server
Events
          USER                 SRV    -  Service

$

tail
*.mbr

tail: 001-0023 Error found opening file *.mbr. No such path or
directory.
$

grep
-h

grep: 001-3010 usage: grep [-E|-F] [-c|-l|-q] [-ihnsvwxy] [-e pattern_list]
[-f pattern_file] [pattern] [file ...]
$

grep "PMCP"
*.mbr

grep: 001-0023 Error found opening file *.mbr. No such path or
directory.
$

ls

CMPEXDFN.MBR    PEXDFN.MBR

$

grep "PMCP" cmpexdfn.mbr
pexdfn.mbr

$

grep "PMCO" cmpexdfn.mbr
pexdfn.mbr

cmpexdfn.mbr:I
-        À   8BASEVT        ÷   !                       !    PMCO        I
  À  \ D -                       À    BA
VT        0   !                       !    PMC                 0000007
0000007
pexdfn.mbr:         PMCO                 PMCO   -  Performance Measurement
Counter Overflow