Actually, you could search through a "directory" by placing
this in a QSH (korn shell) script within a loop construct.
Although I'm not a Unix gearhead either, there are lots of
scripting examples available on the web.  This is similar
to the DOS batch file method but is MUCH more powerful.

I believe that IBM could change these utilities to work
with data files in the QSYS.LIB system, but it might break
POSIX compatibility - just speculating here.

As soon as I get a free weekend, I'll be installing FreeBSD
on a standalone PC at home (to run APACHE) and will be able
to experiment more with bash/korn shell programming. This
way I won't "hose" the AS/400 at work ;-)

Terry