  • Subject: Re: No 5250-based applications
  • From: Evan Harris <spanner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 06:56:49 +1200

Jim/Steve

I think it also worth keeping in mind that the web/browser client doesn't
care where the data or service is served from. This seems to me to be
somewhat different form the client server things I have seen in the past
which always seemed to be very particular about which server they would
interact with - thats if they werent written with a particular server in mind.

The "server" in this case could be off-loading data requests to another
box, building the data itself as a CGI or even redirecting you somewhere
more appropriate. The permutations are endless it seems: the server could
be anything and/or everything.

The browser is the "lowest common denominator" terminal ... kinda like
VT-100 except connectible to lots of things. And the things it connects to
all speak a common presentation language. Or languages. Or dialect.
Whichever your particular slant on it prefers :)

Since the browser is extendable in a way a terminal is not, its also
upgradable in a way terminals never were. So its a better way of investing
your dollars if your browser can connect you to all hosts. I don't mind
having a couple of pieces of equipment on my desk, but the users ? well...
I'll leave that to your particular experience to assess.

Personally, I think Nathan's goal is going to end up the reality for most
of us, but hey... maybe I just can't see the next wave :)

Regards
Evan Harris