  • Subject: RE: No 5250-based applications
  • From: "Nathan M. Andelin" <nathanma@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 11:00:29 -0600

Jim,

I think we need to distinguish between client-server and file-server.
Client-server for database work.  File-server for the type work performed by
MS Office, etc.  File-server may require powerful workstations that run big
applications.  In both client-server and file-server, the AS/400 may host
the files.  But, in client-server you're dealing with records - something
that a Web browser is well suited for.

In fact, in my opinion, it's better to develop an application that delivers
HTML to a browser, than to write a thick Visual Basic (for example)
application to query and update OS/400 hosted data.  The same day you finish
your program, all your users have access to it.  And, the program is easier
to write.

In-house developers may have the option of mixing 5250 and browser.  But,
users of commercial applications expect a more unified interface across the
entire application.  The guy trying to sell a mixed-breed application has a
tough job.  He hates to demo the 5250 screens after the browser.  He'll give
you some smooth smoozing at that point.

I don't think the HTML specification is complete.  But I foresee new
features added rather than existing features discarded.

Nathan.