  • Subject: Re: Anyone hosted a web site using IDSL?
  • From: Jim Langston <jimlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:08:39 -0800

144 kbps is way too slow.

At home I use 768k/128k (768k down to me, 128k up to internet) and 768k
is adequate for me to get on the internet (faster is better).

What happens when I hit your web site?  My DL speed drops by a factor of
5.3 or so.  Now I'm DLing 1/5th the speed I can be.  Now, you get 2 people
on your site, each gets 72k dl speed.  Once you get 3 users, each is reduced
to a 56k dial up speed. And that is only with 3 users.  How many users do you
want on you site?  Heaven forbid you should ever get 100 users, each downloading
at 1.4kbps!  From a 56kbps dial up!

Alternatives:
Cable Modem: Check to see if you can get cable modem at your site.  You do
share bandwidth with everyone else on the cable, but much faster speeds.
Probably
about as expensive as DSL.

Dedicated Line: Check on how much for a dedicated internet line.  Not sure what
speed you want, but T1 should be much cheaper now.

Server farm: Consider moving your AS/400 to some ISPs office.  They charge you
for
this, but they have a much bigger backbone.  Of course, it's not on your site
anymore,
which can be a pain.

Good luck.

Regards,