yes and you have about 38 gb of data and programs.  You currently have 1
mirrored pair so you lose 4 gb in capacity for the backup drive.  You have a
RAID set containing 10 drives so you lose another drive to support that RAID
set - that amount of space is sued to store parity data.  Your effective
capacity is therefore 50.2 GB (4.19 times 12) minus 8.38 (4.19 times 2) or
41.9 gb.  Your system is 92 percent full so 41.9 times 0.92 = 38.54 gb.

Let's remove 2 drives from the 10 drive set.  That set will now have 8
physical drives but the space equal to one drive is reserved for parity
data.  8 drives minus 1 for the RAID parity data equals 7 drives.  7 drives
times 4.19 = 29.33 gb.  29.33 gb plus the mirrored drive (4.19 gb) equals
33.52 gb.  So after removing 8 gb from the RAID set, your system can contain
33.52 gb of data - just what you would have expected.  But, you have 38.54
gb of data.  Where will it go?  Well, it won't fit into 33.52 gb of space.

You could turn off RAID.  That would permit the space currently used for
parity storage to be used for data storage.  It would give you back one
drive.  33.52 plus 4.19 equals 37.71 gb.  Still not enough space to store
your 38.54 gb of data - and you are running your data in unprotected space.
In order to have enough space, you have to turn off RAID and mirroring and
run with a completely unprotected system.  You cannot just do this for the
time that it takes to clear the two drives then reinstall them as a mirrored
pair.

You have a problem that can be easily solved by backing up everything,
changing the disk subsystem and reinstalling everything.  That is probably
the fastest way to do this within the existing and new hardware.  If you
were to add a new disk IOP, you could add the new 8gb drives balance the
disk, then remove the 2 drives from the 10-drive raid set and make them into
a mirrored pair.  I suggest that this would be easier and safer and cheaper
than an unload-reload.

Richard Jackson
mailto:richardjackson@richardjackson.net
http://www.richardjacksonltd.com