  • Subject: Re: Generating PC file formats from AS/400 data
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 16:15:35 EDT

Management Attention was dramatically refocused when we had an ABC analysis
several years ago & I believe we are long overdue for another ... I think
every company should have one of these at least every 5 years, also a
security audit & a few other such things.

Basically each person was asked to fill out a form ... huw much of each day
spend doing various kinds of tasks, or working on particular applications,
and how much of it seems to be wasted due to them not having optimal tools to
do their job efficiently ... the survey started with some suggested areas
associated with the alleged job function of each worker & some expected
possibilities like

Fixing that ***** printer;
Waiting on that ***** printer;
Waiting on the computer screen due to degradation or lock up;
Looking up data that needs to be keyed in;
Studying documentation trying to figure out how to do something;
Reading one of Al's long winded explanations;
Analysing data to track down errors, then fixing them;

Then the user might add to the list.

One big surprise to Management was in the area of applications that cross
departmental lines.  A whole string of people do some things in which the hit
in each department is minor, but when added up, many hours a day was being
consumed ... previous to the ABC study, the kinds of projects MIS had been
working on were the top 1-3 per department in terms of serve all departments
& satisfy their top needs, but after the ABC study I now worked on some
projects that translated to saving the company more time than from the
department by department perspective.

Another thing that has been somewhat helpful more recently is a notion of
continuing education for the whole company, in stages by level & location.
So for example, we had someone in to one facility teaching our factory
supervisors how to make the best use of our ERP reports & screens in getting
their job done.  Various people would describe their problems & quite often
there was a report that solves that.  Then the same educator went off & did
the same assistance to our other factories.  The last time we did this was
over 10 years ago ... far too long ago in my opinion.  There is turn-over,
and software enhancement, and business changes, and people get promoted from
the jobs they were trained in to tasks needing different education.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©