  • Subject: Re: "Webulating" RPG
  • From: Jon Paris <paris@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 08:02:14 -0500

>>"We still use SEU exclusively for program development on the AS/400.
Personally I have no problem at all with it."<<

I'm not saying that there is a "problem" with SEU, simply that you could be
doing a better, faster job with other tools.  Few people still use DOS or an
S/32 because there are better tools, Win95 (well ....) and of course the
AS/400!

Just a few of the things that CODE/400 (for example) can do that SEU can't (or
can't easily).
 - Multiple windows (one in the current C spec area, one in the I or D specs,
one in my subroutines, etc. etc.) - move from one to another simply - even view
the data definitions while editing the calcs.
 - Use bookmarks in source to quickly move from place to place
 - Colour coded display so that you can tell fields apart even when they touch
 - A Tab key that knows where the fields are!
 - A help key that shows the relevant portion of the manual
 - View only lines that reference a specific field
 - Completely verify a program (i.e. a full compiler type check, not just
syntax) in seconds _before_ wasting time submitting (and waiting for) a batch
compile just to find that you mis-spelled a field name!!
 - find errors in the source simply by clicking on the error line
 - full point and click interactive debugger with ability to watch any number
of variables, etc. etc.

These are just a few of the features, so why on earth would I want to use SEU?

Jon Paris - AS/400 AD Market Support - paris@ca.ibm.com
Phone: (416) 448-4019   -   Fax: (416) 448-4414