  • Subject: Re: System/34
  • From: qappdsn@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 11:31:30 -0800

Donald L. Schenck wrote:

> <snip>
>
> You (all) like to SLAM NT ... like you have some "pride of ownership" in
> OS/400 ... like it's your religion or something. What's wrong? Do people
> feel threatened?
>
> I LOVE using OS/400 ... use it all day ... every day. No problem ... it's a
> great operating system.
>
> Use NT all day every day too. Never have a problem. On a network with 400+
> users.
>
> But to call the System/34 superior to NT ... now THAT'S a joke.
>
> Open your mind folks; there's OS/400 ... OS/390 ... Unix ... Linux ... NT
> ... Novell ... Plan Nine <?> ... MacOS ... BeOS <?> ...
>
> Don't see the entire world through Blue lenses.

Don,

I don't think that anyone was claiming that a S/34 is "better" we were just
speaking of it's strength as a multiuser/multitasking reliable work horse.

"Better" is truly within the intended purpose.  For graphics green screen
machines just can't go there.  That's not what they were designed to do.  We who
have had the pleasure of supporting platforms in the 3x family get a chuckle out
of the puny attempts of networks to operate _reliably_ in a shared
data/application environment.

IMHO, networks are great where you have a bunch of people doing their own word
processing, spread sheets, graphics and share those files with others through
the
network server.  This one user/one function approach is what gives PC's their
strength and their weakness.  The transition to mutiuser/shared file let's say
real-time order entry/inventory management is not the networks roots and where
it
falls on it's face. And who knows, a few more iterations of the OS and
application enhancement may make a network in this environment as reliable as a
S/34.

Around here we have OS/400, SSP, NT, Linux, 95, 3.1.  Some are on their way out,
but each is kept within their scope of capability.  And if we did some hard core
publishing I'm sure we would have Macs.

Peace right back at ya :)

P.S. PC OS's are getting better.  I mean it only took MS a dozen or so years to
allow you to do something else while a disk was being formatted!  Productivity
gains are popping up all over the place! :)