Re: "Webulating" RPG

  • Subject: Re: "Webulating" RPG
  • From: Jon Paris <paris@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 17:09:57 -0500

fixed

>>"But that brings us to the bytecode generator. Don't you feel that having a
bytecode generator for RPG will reduce the requirement for learning Java?
Won't that slow the move to OO development and thus hurt the AS/400?" <<

No, I don't think so - experience has shown that among the AS/400 community the
mass adoption of new technology is very slow.  Anything we can do to speed it
up we should be doing IMHO.  If people can reuse their existing code, and begin
to enhance it with new technology, then gradually move to using it full time
(i.e. start with an RPG app, convert it to VARPG, add purchased Java beans,
start to develop their own beans, etc. etc.)  they are more likely to move
ahead.  Force them to jump straight to Java and many (most?) will decide to
wait until the technology is "mature".

Jon Paris - AS/400 AD Market Support - paris@ca.ibm.com
Phone: (416) 448-4019   -   Fax: (416) 448-4414
+---