To announce that Code is deprecated (whatever that means exactly) w/o
announcing what is happening to the products that use it is discomforting.

I agree it was silly but I suspect the reason they did not say anything was
that:

A) They didn't know what they were going to do (they still don't in absolute
terms.)

B) The fact that CODE was deprecated did not necessarily mean that its use
in VARPG was deprecated. I have met many VARPG users who have no idea that
it uses the CODE editor. IBM could have kept it going in VAPRG.

CODE was replaced by WDSC as soon as IBM got the footprint of that small
enough and/or people got more powerful PCs it was inevitable that CODE would
be dropped. The fact that IBM used the term "deprecated" (dumb as it was to
use a term that confused even those who knew what it meant*) was possibly
better than saying "discontinued" - which is what they really based on the
accepted meaning of the word.

Actually what they were _trying_ to say was that CODE would not be shipped
in future versions of the tool kit. It is part of V7 as is VARPG.

* In computer programming, a deprecated language entity is one that is
tolerated or supported but not recommended. It is commonly used in the
Java, HTML, etc. world.

Jon Paris
Partner400

www.Partner400.com