It doesn't take a very big IBM staff to keep VARPG in sync with Windows
and with RPG, ...

Booth - I think Claus and John and many other IBMers would disagree with
you. Its UI hasn't moved beyond Win98 - it still hasn't got an XP look let
alone Vista. That (as I understand it) is due to the owners of the UI
builder components having moved off in other directions. VARPG had to go
with them (which required too much resource) or stay where they were and try
to maintain the old code base. The problem with that is that in the absence
of a large user base (let alone a _paying_ user base - but let's not go
there) there was no way to get enough funding to move the UI forward. They
did scrape together the $s to upgrade the compiler to about V5R2 (I think) -
but that wasn't going to continue forever. When the inevitable decision to
discontinue CODE development came that just put another nail in the coffin.

Maybe they should sell it off to someone or open source it. I don't think
it uses any active IBM proprietary stuff anymore - unless it gens W-code -
not sure about that.

Jon Paris
Partner400

www.Partner400.com