While I can appreciate your frustration, perhaps I can shed some light on
why "officially" WDSc 4.0 SP2 is required to for proper V5R2M0 support.

1)  If you install WDT 5.0 and SP5 you will be able to auto-connect to
V5R2M0, but STRCODE will not work (as you have experienced).  I have
already made changes to CODE to the communication layer to generically
support any iSeries release, BUT, this code cannot be made available in a
service pack and will only be available on our next release.

2) We on the CODE team are not able to provide function for a new iSeries
release before it is announced.  Therefore if you want the verifiers,
language help and compile options to support V5R2M0, you will need WDSc 4.0
SP2.  Being able to connect to V5R2M0 can be done before SP2, but proper
full support for V5R2M0 comes only with SP2 and later service packs.

3) CODE is generally backwards compatible.   The 4.0 release will probably
work as far back as V4R1M0, but it is only tested with host releases that
are still supported by IBM.

4) WDT was renamed to WDSc.  I unfortunately have no more control over that
than you do.

thanks,

Violaine Batthish
CODE Project Lead
batthish@ca.ibm.com          IBMCA(BATTHISH)

WDT/400 page:  http://www.ibm.com/software/ad/wdt400
WDT/400 Support : http://www.ibm.com/software/ad/wdt400/support

                      sublime78ska@attb
                      i.com                    To:       code400-l@midrange.com
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      code400-l-admin@m        Subject:  Re: Code/400 STRCODE
question....
                      idrange.com

                      12/24/2002 03:00
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      code400-l

Why does IBM do this.  Why has IBM tied a client development tool to the
server
OS version?  Do you have any idea how long it takes to upgrade 50, 100,
200+
developer PC's?  Do you think it would happen the same day OS400 is
upgraded?
WDSc isn't an upgrade - it's a new product!  That means training!  That
means PC
upgrades!  Not only does it take a long time to do but it adds little value
compared to the great expense involved with upgrading PC's, training
people, and
lost productivity in the meantime.

Where I work we're in the middle of rolling out WDTS 5.1. Because it was
the
released version when we started.  The group responsible for the servers
are
planning to upgrade the servers to V5R2 in the spring.  Oops!  Do think
management will say "Oh.  Bummer.  Don't worry about it."  No, they'll say
"Why
didn't you know this? You're fired."

Jon Paris says SEU and PDM is dead.  Not when this happens!  SEU will have
to be
used for such a long time after upgrading to V5R2 that we may never be
allowed
to go back to an IBM gui editor.

This is unacceptable.  WDTS 5.1 should run at least on all V5 releases.

What is the recommended solution if you have both V5R2 and V5R1 and V4
servers
that you support?!  Buy a second PC?  Dual boot?

Toronto.  Americans are known to be lousy with geography.  I guess it's
true
because I always thought Toronto was in Canada but apparently Toronto is on
the
Moon.

Phil Groschwitz
> Hi Steve,
>
> The V5R1M0 version of WDT (and CODE) does not support the V5R2M0 version
of
> OS/400.
> For V5R2M0 support, you must install WDSC 4.0 and SP2, which coincided
with
> the GA of V5R2M0 OS/400.
> You should have received CDs of WDSC 4.0 with your host CDs.
>
> thanks,
>
> Violaine Batthish
> CODE Project Lead
> batthish@ca.ibm.com          IBMCA(BATTHISH)
>

> WDT/400 page:  http://www.ibm.com/software/ad/wdt400
> WDT/400 Support : http://www.ibm.com/software/ad/wdt400/support
>

>                       Steve Cross
>                       <SCross@clippergr        To:
> "'code400-l@midrange.com'" <code400-l@midrange.com>
>                       oup.com>                 cc:
>                       Sent by:                 Subject:  Code/400 STRCODE
> question....
>                       code400-l-admin@m
>                       idrange.com
>

>                       12/20/2002 03:04
>                       PM
>                       Please respond to
>                       code400-l
>

> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not
understand
> --
> Hello,
>
> My company upgraded to OS/400 V5R2, so I upgraded CODE/400 to V5R1.  Now
> when I issue the debug command through CODE/400, the message box says
that
> no interactive STRCODE sessions are available for debug.  So I go to the
> AS/400 screen and issue the STRCODE command with these parameters.
STRCODE