Hi,
if what you want to do is, moving an existing application from IBM i to
Java - incl. conversion of all business logic from (ILE-)RPG, DDS and
(ILE-)CL - then my short recommendation is: DON’T. Especially if you have
to real strategy, plan or idea how the application should look
afterwards.
Most such projects fail  - I can honestly say that all such project that I
knew failed. Simply because you’re not only have to translate/port from
one language to another. But also from one operating platform to another,
from one application concept to another and from one philosophy to
another.
Most efforts in this direction are driven by three ideas:
1. Leaving the expensive IBM i platform behind
But IBM i is in fact one of the (maybe THE) most cost effective business
computing platform(s). Just Google to find the reports of several
consulting companies.
2. Leaving RPG behind because your HR are retiring/leaving
Well, let’s say it short - it is much cheaper to train someone RPG than to
port a whole application to another language. And if your company didn’t
make a good job lastly to hire or train new RPG developers, your company
did something wrong - not the language.
If you really want to do that - take a look at [1]strumenta.com - Federico
Tomassetti and his team know what they are doing, but be prepared to start
a long (and expansive) journey.
3. Leaving the green screen behind
For this part, there are so many tools available - from LANSA, Fresche,
ARCAD, Profound, just to name a few. But there are also other concepts
like IceBreak.
Just take part in some COMMON events and look at all the solutions there.
Google your way around.
Just my 2ct.
Regards,
Daniel