Nathan,

please don't refer to async/await as a specific node.js functionallity, it
is a part af ES( the ECMA standard of javascript) and is controlled
nativly by the javascript engine in node.js the same as in Chrome, the V8.

In general any muktitask function has an performance penalty since
the processor has to process instruction that controls either the async
function or a jobpool where each job either transfer the processing to
the pending other jobs by going into a long wait or reaching the treshold
time value.

We have all seen especially some java job taking all the resource out of an
IBM i and that is because that a java job easely will run until the treshold
is reached and that value (2 sec for interactive jobs and 5 sec for batch)
is a long time for one job to own even multiple treads (as java may do) in
a one core machine completely before the OS force it into wait.

Any VM is greedy from a OS multitask job delgation point of view because
functions as async/await will prevent the VM from going into what the OS
sees as a long wait.

There s many ways to try to cheat the OS from resources, Apache CGI
has one job QZSTHTTP that delegates any request to one of 40 QZSRCGI
jobs whitch means that if you have 40 active and waiting for CPU 5250
native
jobs apache is bad competitor since one apache instance controls 50 %
of the job waiting in the OS multitask pool. You can actually do the same
in node.js with the cluster module.

So it is actually a question of the matrix you build and how that controls
the "waits" and the queue and that is however you do it complicated even
in a bare native ile environment where you somtimes try to control the
systems
jobmatrix in vaious ways such as number of batchjob Qbatch can start
and process the same time, dedicated pools in wrksyssts, job priorities etc.

And some times you can end up with a so complex configuration that the
different systems actually works against each other bacuase there always
will be an overhead in any form of multitasking.