I know this will probably raise the question "Why?" But...

I came across an article that says you can run JavaScript in the Windows OS and in the Microsoft IIS web server:
https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/831752/JavaScript-for-Windows-server-side
I tried the first hello world example on my laptop and it worked. I need to see if I can get my JS scripts to run in IIS.

Given that we have XMLSERVICE up and running on our IBM i, could I:

1. Copy the itoolkit.js from the IFS into a directory on my laptop.

2. Write a JS script that requires itoolkit.js and, say, calls a CL program with the iPgm class.

3. Run that JS script on my laptop via Windows or the Microsoft IIS web server (no use of Node).

In theory, would this work? I do not want explore this possibility if it cannot possibly work. I would rather just know it is impossible up front-and why.

I'm also looking at the iisnode module to run Node apps in Microsoft IIS:
https://www.simplymigrate.com/2017/04/11/internet-information-server-iis-node-js-in-producton-iisnode/
This becomes much more interesting if my Node app can use itoolkit.js to remotely access IBM i resources analogous to the way a Java app using jt400.jar can remotely access IBM i resources.

Thanks,

Kelly Cookson
IT Project Leader
Dot Foods, Inc.