Richard,

I agree with what everyone else has said, Apache never uses the same job two run two CGI requests concurrently via threads.

It does have the capability to start CGI jobs as "multiple thread capable" (there's an Apache directive to enable this). But, this only marks the job as capable of multiple threads so that the CGI job can internally spawn threads if it desires. Apache does not call it in a multiple concurrent thread manner.

Are you "absolutely" sure that the programmer isn't confusing a request (or a "call" as you've phrased it) with a session? Because within the scope of a session, it's very possible (and likely) that other sessions will also be serviced by the same job with the same QTEMP. And conversely, it is also true that a single session will be handled by multiple jobs with different QTEMPs.

This is a very common mistake that people make. And, it can be hard to detect during testing, because frequently the load on the test HTTP server isn't very high, so it may come back with the same job for all requests in the session just by "luck." But in production server where there are more requests, it'll almost certainly switch jobs during a session, and re-use the same job for other sessions.

In fact, if your programmer does in fact understand the difference between requests and sessions and knows that the QTEMP is used in a valid manner (i.e. only during the space of a single REQUEST) then I'm having a hard time even understanding what value QTEMP provides? Since the data can only reside there (legimately, anyway) for a very small time, and you can't use it to keep data persistent within the session, what purpose does it serve to use QTEMP? Something like an *OUTFILE option that you're going to immediately process and then delete would be one legitimate use... but that's about it.

Of course, if we're talking about persistent CGI, that's a different story...

-SK