I should not have used the term "node.js function" because it is confusing. I am talking about node.js modules.

I the Renaissance world the node.js HTTP server receives an request (which is basically a data model in JSON format). Part of the request dictates what node.js module in the application should be called to handle it. The call is not made directly, but is placed onto a queue. In the RPG world it is a data queue. In our node.js world it is a queue based on Redis (various libraries exist for this - we use BusMQ). A completely separate node.js process that knows nothing about HTTP picks the request off the redis queue and hands it off to the node.js module that is supposed to deal with it. The module then returns a response back to the redis queue, is picked up by the HTTP server and returned to the browser. So your application code can be completely separate from the HTTP server, and it can be divided up into nice manageable modules in the same way that you would in the RPG world. It can and is even managed by a completely different Git repo that the http server framework code that front ends it.

Each module follows the exact same template, e.g.

/***** BEGIN LICENCE BLOCK ***************************/
/* The initial developer of the code is "CoralTree */
/* Systems Ltd: http://www.coraltreesystems.com */
/* */
/* Portions created by "CoralTree Systems Ltd" are */
/* Copyright (c) 2005-2016 CoralTree Systems Ltd. */
/* All Rights Reserved. */
/***** END LICENCE BLOCK *****************************/

/**
* @Module example
* @Description Renaissance function example
* @Author My name
* @Date
*/

/********************************************************************
/*
/* Modification log
/* ================
/*
/* Inits Date Modification
/* ===== ==== ============
/*
/********************************************************************/

module.exports = {

/**
* Globals
*/
me: Utility.getName(module),
dataout: {},
datain: null,
action: null,
MOD: null,
SES: null,
Func: null,

/**
* @name run
* @method
* @description Main procedure
* @param {Object} datain The inbound data
* @param {Object} A map of handles to Framework objects
* @param {Function} cb Callback
*/
run: function(datain,handles,cb) {
var self=this;
self.MOD=handles.MOD;
self.SES=handles.SES;
self.Func=handles.Func;
self.datain=datain;

self.action=datain.action.toLowerCase();
try {
// Initialise the function
this.initialise(datain,function(err){

// If we have an error then pass it back to the client
if (err) {
self.dataout.err=err;
self.finalise(function(err){
cb(self.dataout);
});
}
else {
// Process data model
self.process(function(err){
if (err) self.dataout.err = err;
// Finalise matters and run the callback
self.finalise(function(err){
// Pass back the payload and the delta model
if (err) self.dataout.err = err;
cb(self.dataout);
});

});
}

});
}
catch(err){
// Oops!
self.dataout.err=err;
self.finalise(function(err){
cb(self.dataout);
});
}

},

/**
* @name initialise
* @method
* @description Initialisation
* @param {Object} datain The inbound data
* @param {Function} cb Callback
*/
initialise: function(datain,cb){
var self=this;
self.MOD.initialise(self.me,datain,(self.action=="init"),function(err){

// If we have an "err" then pass it back
if (err) {
cb(err);
}
else {