​Some good commentary on how to organize larger Node projects: ​
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9832019/how-to-organize-large-node-js-projects

Aaron Bartell
IBM i hosting, starting at $157/month. litmis.com/spaces

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 8:50 AM, Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for your response, Keven. No, my question about running one Node
instance per application (including one HTTP server instance) was not
rhetorical. Nor do I know the answer to how one might deploy hundreds of
"Node" applications, where the scope of an "application" is say 3-12
requests (i.e. insert, update, delete, read, etc.).

If you don't mind, what is your definition of "a node.js function". I
gather that you're not referring to a JavaScript function.

The following blog provides context for my question:

http://blog.modulus.io/build-your-first-http-server-in-nodejs

It describes using Node to implement an HTTP request/response event loop
where:

1. An HTTP server listens for new requests.
2. New requests are forwarded to a "dispatcher" when they arrive.
3. The dispatcher invokes various named JavaScript functions to process
each type of request.
4. A response is generated in the function to which requests are
dispatched.

That blog example is somewhat simplistic in that the JavaScript functions
to which requests are dispatched to don't implement dispatch-callback logic
of their own. But it is typical of the types of node.js application samples
that one sees on the Internet.

You say that "You can plug in any number of applications...". I really
don't understand what you mean by that - other than you saying that
"applications" don't need to implement an HTTP server.

Nathan.

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 1:35 AM, Kevin Turner <