Rob,

My suggestion would be that you give as much though to the "back-end" as
you do to the "front-end". Regarding the "back-end", if you're thinking of
implementing data validations, RI constraints, and business rules in PHP,
then think again!

For example, say you were to write a banking application which provided for
setting up accounts for new customers, where setting up a new customer
might include sending them a welcome email, ordering a bank card, and a PIN.

Use a before-trigger on your IBM i server to validate the customer before
adding them to the DB. Use an after-trigger to generate the email, order a
bank card and PIN.

If you want to use a PHP ORM or application generation framework, ensure
that they are compatible with the error and other message handling that
might result from your triggers.

Regarding Composer, are you referring to the HTML editor from Mozilla?

Regarding client-side tools, I really like Fiddler for monitoring I/O
between the client and the server, which unfortunately only runs on Windows.