From: WEB400 [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Henrik Rützou
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2015 3:07 AM
To: Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Holding off recommending Node.JS for now

Kelly

Sorry to say, you COBOL programmers has been left out for years since any new features and most Open Source tools for IBM I is RPGLE oriented in the meaning that it comes with /copybook's and if in other languages that RPGLE with RPGLE wrappers.

CGIDEV2 has a COBOL extension but outher tools from Easy/400 are RPGLE, Apache POI (java) has a RPGLE wrapper, YAJL (Yet Another JSON Library in C) has a RPG wrapper, HTTPAPI is in RPGLE, powerEXT (my own Open Source) is in RPGLE. Then there is also all the web products with a pricetag where some is bound to RPGOA.

Even if node.js became generally used on IBM I you would probably also see a lot of examples and wrappers made in RPGLE and few made in COBOL.

Last but not least - there is a lot of free resources in various forums like this that supports RPGLE.

So if you have decided to wait on .NET or mature node.js on IBM I it would be a good idea to take a look at RPGLE and if you don't already use it inline SQL.

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 5:53 AM, Kelly Cookson <KCookson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>