Nathan,

I am too new to all of this to have a lot of expectations. I grew up on the IBM i as an OPM COBOL developer, and I still pretty much do OPM COBOL development when it comes to the IBM i. So I'm mostly trying to figure out how things work with node on the IBM i.

The only .NET interface that I have heard about is the .NET Provider. This reflects my knowledge, not what might be available.

It seems to me that node offers more flexibility than the .NET Provider in terms of access to IBM i resources. They can both use SQL to perform CRUD operations on DB2 files. They can both call CL, RPG and COBOL programs, though you have to create stored procedures to do so with the .NET Provider. Toolkit for i (using XMLSERVICE) lets node access some resources that the .NET Provider cannot, like data queues, user spaces, individual CL commands, user profiles, and more.

I am curious whether or not node scales more efficiently than the .NET Provider in terms of concurrent users. I develop apps used by employees. We have about 4,000-5,000 employees and growing. We're definitely not talking large-scale by Internet standards. I suspect both node and the .NET Provider can handle 4,000-5,000 concurrent users. I'm just curious which handles concurrent users more efficiently in terms of CPU%.

Thanks,
Kelly