I just walked through this thread and I am a little mystified as to why this is an issue. Browsers know what to do with content that is delivered as a content type of application/pdf and a disposition of "inline". The browser will look for an app that can open a pdf. In my java web apps I use the following:

response.addHeader("Content-Disposition", "inline;filename=" + postingFileName);

What web tool are you using to deliver the web pages with? (CGIDEV2?) There must be a way to set the content disposition and the content type. Once you do that and send the pdf to the page, it will either render in a window (IE does this, I think) or the user is prompted to download the file or open it (FireFox has the option for this, I think).

Or, maybe I am missing something.....

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java