I remember a friend ordered a bacon & tomato sandwich. He was told that wasn't possible. He then ordered a BLT without the lettuce. He was told that wasn't possible. He asked why not. He was told they had no one trained to remove lettuce. He ordered a BLT and removed his own lettuce.

My only point is that, so far, this sounds like the same scenario. If PDF is such a PITA, why add the complications of PDF? Do away with it entirely. Print the report as HTML.