Nathan

If you are experiencing performance issues have you explored the types of
server side data caching offered by the IBMi?

Are there any?

Maurice O'Prey

Henrik,

It sounds like you and I are pretty much on the same page. IBM i server /
database performance is not the issue, regardless of whether you go with CGI
or QZDASOINIT interfaces. The performance hit is on the client, in consuming
the result set. Whether an SQL result set is generated from a CGI program,
or from a QZDASOINIT job, the performance will be essentially identical.

I don't have any numbers comparing client performance for "consuming" an XML
response vs. an ODBC formatted response. Maybe Richard can try that?

The IBM i Access ODBC Driver for Windows does come with a "compress" option,
on the Performance tab, comparable to the Apache Deflate module. And it does
work, I've monitored the compression.

When comparing CGI to QZDASOINIT interfaces, one other thing you might want
to check is the number of TCP connections and JOB activation are occurring
under the covers. For example the following Foxpro script will create 12 TCP
connections, and activate 6 QZDASOINIT Jobs on my server:

select 0
use mdef100p
select 1
use mdef110p
select 2
use mdef120p
select 3
use mdef130p
select 4
use mdef140p
select 5
use mdef150p

Same thing happens if I use the IBM i Access Navigator to view the tables.
12 TCP connections. 6 QZDASOINIT Job activations (one for each table
browser).

Contrast that with a CGI interface, where most browsers only create 1-2 TCP
connections, and perhaps 1-2 CGI Job activations.

-Nathan