Nathan,

I wouldn't worry so much of the size of what is returned and besides that,
ODBC dosn't
DEFLATE/ZIP while HTTP normally does.

But DEFALTE/ZIP creates overhead on both server and client side so what you
gain in
network speed you generally loose in the server/client overhead.

Another thing is the comparison of ODBC and XML format, again XML (or JSON)
creates
overhead on the server, and is the XML encoded etc. etc. and XML/JSON may
create different
overhead in the client.

And again, what client do you use, if it is a browser that has to process
javascript and XML
or JSON and render HTML i can give you an example:

I have an EXT JS page that receives 1300 records with 8 fields in an AJAX
request. On the
server side the time to generates either JSON or XML is aprox. the same
(1.0 sec) and the file
size is approx. 25% larger in XML (232/291KB undeflated, 18.4/20.1KB
deflated).

But when I render the page in different browsers here comes the real
performance hit:

MS IE 25 sec
FF 15 sec
Opera 7 sec
Crome 5 sec

Normally this isn't at big problem, because I use paging and thereby only
transfers 25
records to each page - or if I want real scroll I just tells EXTJS to read
and render 25
records at a time in a technique called infinite scroll where the page
loader always are
a couple of pages ahead of the user.

You can se a demo here:

http://dev.sencha.com/deploy/ext-4.1.0-gpl/examples/grid/infinite-scroll.html

I understand you use winshark, if you have to measure
dns,connecting/send/wait/receive time
in browsers Crome has an exellent build in tool for that.