I got as far as creating a process to make it happen. My only issue is
that the storage engine does not support zoned decimal numeric fields,
only packed. This can obviously be a big problem when exposing existing
tables. I am currently trying to work out a way around this limitation.
If someone has the need to do this and the zoned decimal problem does not
apply to your situation, I would be glad to help them do it.

Brian May
Project Lead
Management Information Systems
Garan, Incorporated
Starkville, Mississippi

Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
12/18/2010 10:12 PM
Please respond to
Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [WEB400] MySQL and DB2 storage engine for IBM i

You can run mySql on i - have been able to do so for a long time now.
The storage engine is just a way to use the i database as the place the
data is stored. Yes, it originally was uni-directional, but Brian May,
who posts in these lists, was working on enabling the use of
pre-existing iSeries tables or files. Not sure where he got with that.

But there's no reason to abandon the use of mySql on i, so far as I can
see, only, perhaps, the storage engine. The other storage engines are
all still there in mySql, right?

This means now that RPG developers would have to use JDBC or something
like my open access handler to work with mySql data - no big deal!

Right?

Vern