On 12/14/2010 12:16 AM, Mike Pavlak wrote:
Well, Joe, we'll have to agree to disagree. I see PHP as a VERY Enterprise oriented language.

I'm not sure how many enterprise applications you've designed, Mike, but PHP is not a language I'd use to write any business logic in. If you recommend it for, say, MRP processing, then you are either very, very wrong or a salesman. PHP as a front end to RPG, perhaps, but then you've learned two languages to do one thing: present business logic to the web. Anyway, we've been over this ground already. We all know you work for Zend and everybody knows what I advocate, so our opinions are already pretty much Open Source. :)

And so do companies like Dr. Dobbs Journal, GE, eBay, Disney and many more. I just wish I understood the axe you have to grind about PHP. You saying it "ain't" an Enterprise programming language is a disservice, poor grammar and a lie. But, maybe enterprise is in the eye of the beholder and you too are entitled to your opinions regardless of how flawed.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10453213-16.html
http://www.infoq.com/articles/enterprise-php
http://www.cio.com/article/197152/PHP_s_Enterprise_Strengths_and_Weaknesses_Take_2

Gimme a break. That first one is talking about Perl in the enterprise fer goshsakes! Even that very article says that Python has more jobs than PHP! So, by your logic (that of using the media to make your decisions) everyone should dump PHP and go to Python! Which actually seems to be the consensus of the "cool kids" these days.

If you notice, I said Java was too complex for me. The RPG community adopting PHP is saying that Java was too complex for the masses. I wish I had hard numbers to tell you Java workload from PHP workload on IBM i. But I do not believe anyone has those hard statistics. Plus let's check back in another 10 years so PHP has a little more traction. IBM spent untold millions shoving Java down the throats of thousands of IBM i developers for the better part of 15 years. Some swallowed the Kool-Aid and are turning out some pretty cool work, God bless. Others adopted CGI, tooling solutions and Net.Data technologies. Many ran off to Microsoft and still others clung to their green screens and held out for another alternative. Well, PHP seems to be gaining some serious traction. It is a VERY viable alternative and ironically you are the only one I see in our community stating categorically that PHP is not for Enterprise. Please, I would like to hear as many as possible step fo!

PHP is gaining some serious traction? Not according to TIOBE. According to the December 2010 numbers, PHP continues to drop in popularity, right along with Visual Basic and Perl. In fact, unless trends change PHP will shortly be overtaken by both Python and C#. And this is not from Java advocates.

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

Oh yeah - what's the number one language on that chart? Yeah, I thought so.

Joe