TIOBE? That really is not a great way to guage what is being used. The
best way to guage what is being used is by talking to developers. I spend
a considerable amount of time talking with and reading about we
entrapenuers and thier technology stacks. The largest sites on the web
are using PHP. Period. There is a growing movement towards Ruby on Rails
and some Python growth, but PHP is by far still the leader. Notice that
RPG is listed as number 15 and is up from number 29. Do you really think
that RPG development has ramped up THAT much in the last month? I'm
skeptical too ;)

This all boils back down to the old addage of the right tool for the job.
Just because Java can do embedded and PHP can't doesn't mean that Java is
more ready for the enterprise. You can write an enterprise system in
anything... try it in LISP, I'm sure it can be done. Does Java have some
advantages over PHP in certain use cases? Yes. But beings that this is
the Web400 List... I would much rather have a PHP/RPGLE stack than a
Java/RPGLE stack. I don't know enough about CGI programming to make a
call on it. Looked kind of clunky when I first checked it out, but that
was a couple years ago and I am a much better programmer now (so it might
not be that bad).

I can assure you that there are MRP systems written in PHP. But if you
want to get nit picky, I rather it be written in C, or better yet
Assembler because it performs better than Java (I mean, that's the
argument against PHP right?).

So lets put sweeping generalizations to rest and focus our efforts on
looking at the right tool for the job. If your shop is a Java shop, so
beit, use it, love it, embrace it. That goes for any language. They have
their pitfalls, all of them.

Is Oracle going to try and suck as much money out of Java as it can? Yep.
Is it going to have any impact on IBM i shops running Java on Websphere?
Probably not any time soon if ever. By the way, Oracle begged the ASF to
come back... <
http://news.techworld.com/applications/3253230/oracle-asks-apache-to-come-back-to-java-community-process/>

So before we throw Oracle to the wolves (I don't trust them as much as the
next guy), lets see how things play out. Knee jerk reactions get you
right where this thread has gone.

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
12/14/2010 07:12 AM
Please respond to
Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [WEB400] The ASF Resigns From the JCP Executive Committee