From: Paul Tuohy
I think language efficiency comes well down the list after the hardware

Let's say that part of scalability is the "ability" to effectively use the
"hardware". Here's an analogy. Let's say we're operating a restaurant where
waiters take orders for "sodas" from customers, while sitting at their tables.
Waiters then go to a soda fountain to fill up cups and return them to tables.
Let's say the soda fountain has 64 dispensers which can output any available
flavor. The process is automated so that all dispensers can be working, serving
all waiters simultaneously.

Sometime later, management decides to add a staging area for soda orders, which
is manned by 4 workers. Waiters go to the staging area and place their orders
there. A staging area worker takes the order to the soda fountain, returns with
cups full of soda, empties the contents into other cups, discards the original
cups, and waiters finally return orders to tables. Every once in a while one of
the staging area workers is dispatched to collect garbage.

Which operation is more efficient? Which operation is more scalable? Which
operation is more likely to retain (please) customers?

The soda fountain is a 64 core IBM i server. The staging area is a 4 core Intel
server, running J2EE application servers. Customer tables are browsers.

-Nathan