Here is a link to a RIA type of application, try to browse the source that
created the page .... how much PHP/HTML is needed ?

http://212.242.251.247:1550/pextcgi/pxwkpxx9.pgm

Henrik

Kelly Cookson <KCookson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
19-04-2010 18:50
Please respond to
Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [WEB400] Why use PHP? What are the disadvantages?

Facebook still uses PHP. Here's how a Facebook developer describes their
use of PHP, HipHop and C:

"HipHop for PHP isn't technically a compiler itself. Rather it is a source
code transformer. HipHop programmatically transforms your PHP source code
into highly optimized C++ and then uses g++ to compile it."

"One common way to address these inefficiencies is to rewrite the more
complex parts of your PHP application directly in C++ as PHP Extensions.
This largely transforms PHP into a glue language between your front end
HTML and application logic in C++."

So they still use PHP. They just take the complex parts of the PHP and run
it through HipHop to compile into C. The C programs are then used as PHP
extensions. Like the guy says, PHP becomes the glue between the HTML front
end and the C back end.

Now, wouldn't it be cool if Zend and IBM could partner up and get HipHop
running on IBM i? We could use an HTML front end, a C back end (which
through the magic of ILE could allow reuse of RPG and COBOL), and PHP as
the glue that ties it all together.

Here's the article if you want to read more:
http://developers.facebook.com/news.php?blog=1&story=358

Kelly Cookson
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Dot Foods, Inc.