Customer Relationship Management must be the poster child application for 'Cloud Computing', 'Software as a Service', 'On Demand Computing', 'Software, plus Service', or whatever the latest catch phrase that folks are calling Web applications these days.

I was just about ready to create source file QRPGLESRC in library RDCRM. 'RD' is the prefix for my product libraries, which is an abbreviation for my company name, and 'CRM' would be an abbreviation for a product. I'd also need IFS folders '/rdweb/apps/rdcrm/...' for applicable HTML, CSS, and JavaScript files. But then I began reviewing on demand CRM offerings from a few of the major players:

http://crm.dynamics.com
http://www.salesforce.com
http://www.37signals.com
http://crmondemand.oracle.com/en/index.htm
http://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/

Their Webinar and Media Player presentations pound in the idea that if you don't do CRM then you're nobody.

Microsoft Dynamics Online is a Web application. But they specifically target Outlook as a Client, and even promote that interface over IE. So you can continue using Outlook and Exchange for email, but when a new message arrives, it can also be posted to the CRM database, and shared with other users.

I understand software bundling as a business model, but question Microsoft's approach to bundling as a design pattern. Outlook is already a convoluted user interface - then you add CRM on top? That takes me back to how they integrated IE into the OS, not realizing that the design would lead to future OS virus penetration. I'd rather make email a Web application, and integrate it with CRM through a portal. Well, at least they really know how to give a polished sales presentation.

One remarkable thing is that 4 of the players referenced above share quite a bit of common terminology. It's as though they all followed the lead of Siebel CRM, which was later acquired by Oracle.

Accounts are companies. The sales process involves 'leads', which after some effort may become 'opportunities', which may be included in a 'campaign' and added to the 'pipeline', for review in the executive 'dashboard'.

Coming from an accounting background, I would probably refer to companies as 'Organizations' rather than 'Accounts'. To me, Accounts are something that show up on financial statements, or something you store your money in. How do they integrate CRM with the financial system when Account has such different meaning under each?

37 Signals took a bit different approach to CRM in their product (HighRise). The scope is scaled back, which was actually somewhat refreshing. Who you talk to, and when to follow-up with something.

Just musing, as I contemplate setting up my 'Organizations' table in file QDDSSRC in library RDCRM.

Nathan.