From: Pete Helgren <Pete@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 3, 2008 11:55:24 AM
Subject: Re: [WEB400] CAPTCHA image validation in web form

I guess I misread that post but the more I think about it, the better
the idea seems to me. You could have 7 images, generated in random
order and that followed by the statement that says: "Click on the image
of the boat" and allow the selection. If it is correct, perhaps
challenge them with a second randomly generated set of images with a
second statement.

If the answer is incorrect, generate a new set of images and a new
statement: "Click on the image of the Cat". Correct selections are
verified at the server with a few seconds delay to avoid a brute force
attack.

I also thought the discussion about image sizes and characteristics to
be interesting as well. With some randomness in colors, images, sizes
and resolutions, you could probably have a small number of images that
could be manipulated into a large number or variants making an automated
method of guessing correctly difficult to accomplish.

Interesting discussion.

Pete