john e wrote:
Joe,

Again, model 1 or 2, the servlet is a server program. It's not that you can simply start a servlet which then displays a page. The output of a servlet is always in response to an HTTP request.

In model 2 simply more of the application code (like what page to display next) resides on the server. But it's still client/server.

You said "the SUBMIT button on the JSP page returns to the calling servlet.". It does not return. A SUBMIT is a request. It is the beginning of a request-reponse cycle, not the end. The framework simply assures that the SUBMIT request is delegated to the same servlet that produced the page containing the SUBMIT.
By your definition, a function key on a 5250 is a request from the user. In JSP Model 2 there is no functional difference between what the browser does (display information from the host, allow user to enter data, and then hit a button) and what the 5250 does (display information from the host, allow user to enter data, and hit a function key).

Yes, the mechanics are different, and that's the disconnect between the two approaches. But in JSP Model 2, the browser acts as a slaved device to the host application that is functionally equivalent to the 5250. But since the request is coming back to the servlet in response to the page just displayed, the application architecture is sever/client.

If you disagree, that's cool. I'll just get out of the thread. I've been doing this for too long to fight about semantics.

Joe