In addition to agreeing with what Aaron and Matt wrote, I can also add Zend as a very successful model to consider in my opinion. In this case, if IceBreak is PHP, then S & M is Zend offering the same kinds of maintenance support, services and products, closed source enterprise level extensions, etc.

I pay a decent sum to Zend for an annual subscription where I download a supported compiled build with accessory products, such as Zend's IDE, and I'm sure most companies likewise will want both the open source and the business level production support for IceBreak.

There are several licenses of the Apache variety, using one of them being critical to adoption in the business world as mentioned before, and even being redistributed with proprietary extensions is a good thing as long as the open source base source code is distributed with original licensing annotations from S & M and source code changes made available to you, which AFAIK all these licenses require, but not sure of the detailed differences among them (Apache, BSD, Mozilla, MIT, LGPL, etc.)

I especially think as with Zend's PHP, as the product becomes a critical function of a business running on iseries, there will be a greater demand for enterprise IceBreak products and expertise in high performance, multiple system architectures, failover, etc.

Your consideration of this is appreciated, Niels.

rd

Niels Liisberg wrote:
Hi Aaron and Ralph;

> >You have my attention. What's the reality of it happening though, and what type of open source license would it be?

I just had a meeting with the board of directors here this morning. At first they could not se any idea in "opening" IceBreak but at second thoughts they found that it might not be a bad idea.

We were discussing a constellation like GNU-GPL
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html) or LGPL.

However, it requires that we can come up with another way to drive our
revenue. If you have any suggestions we will appreciate it.

Best regards

Niels Liisberg
IceBreak Chief SW Architect

System & Metode Technologies