Good ideas Ralph! I love these types of discussions. As I challenge you in
the following post please know I am trying to come up with the best possible
collective solution to move forward with.

The difference in my idea is that I'm going to code all the global
variables in each dataq server program in one or more data structures and
DIM the data structures to a maximum number of concurrent session users, to
be bold here, let's say 10,000.

It seems this would immediately put a limitation on the framework being used
for public purposes because it would be limited by the RPG language vs.
being limited by processing power (you can buy more processing power, but
you can't buy more RPG DIM element entries). One could argue that 10,000
users is a lot, but in my mind that number could be eaten up pretty fast
based on current RPG customers using this framework to take online orders
and such.

Maybe I don't understand how your approach is working entirely. How long
does an entry in the DIM exist before being timed out and removed for
somebody else to use? I would imagine you would have to have such a timeout
feature.

The key point here is making all web processing the same as 5250 processing
as far as state goes. Everything that is in a variable is still there from
last processing, just as we expect and program to in 5250 or any desktop
programming, etc.

I can see how this approach would work for retaining state of variables
(global and local), but how would it work at retaining state of things that
you don't have immediate control over like DB files and SQL cursors? If you
potentially have two users making use of the same job (one after another)
then you can't rely on record positioning and cursors to be in the same
place and instead have to initialize from ground zero which takes us back to
regular CGI programming. Note the V6R1 PF handlers might be able to be held
in a DIM.

The point I hope to get to with this framework is to capitolize on all of
RPG's wonderful features as it relates to the whole environment (i.e. the
OS, DB2, ODP, SQL cursors, etc).

What I would like to see is an iseries RPG open source framework code for
business processing that would be more powerful than any other
environment...

Yahoo! I agree with you man. And the crazy thing is that I think it is
within reach. The important thing is that it is differentiated enough from
other frameworks, and I think that lies in using RPG's fudemental features
"as-is" as much as possible, and the data queues thing gives us that. If
you look around this is exactly what many other frameworks have been trying
to get to for many years. They are making solid progress, but like I stated
in another post on the EGL list, they are shooting for what we have had with
RPG/5250 for decades.

All IO for a program would go through just the open paths of that single
program.

I can understand how reusing open paths would save on processing, but how do
you share an open path from one invocation to the next when multiple users
will be using that same job?

Are you open to combining our efforts in an online repository like
Assembla? I picked Assembla because it is free and we can fairly easily
store RPG code in there by using WDSC's iSeries Projects (I can post a video
showing how). This has to be a community effort otherwise it won't fly. As
I understand it the Renasianseframework is completely open source as long as
you submit enhancements back which I have no problem with.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com