Guillermo, the data structure names should be qualified. I didn't qualify the data structure name in the example because it's optional to do so, but I would usually qualify the data structures for clarity and to avoid collisions.

But more importantly, what I'm proposing doesn't introduce new variables of any type, much less with the same name. Just the same variables moved from S standalone into dimensioned data structures.

But since you're doing this and it's a problem, there's something going on in that process I don't understand. I would have the screen fields in a data structure to replace the screen DDS F spec and pass them in and out.

rd

Guillermo Andrades, CPI Software wrote:
Ralph,

about fields into DS in RPG, one problem is when the developer already have
an "screen" field into an DS, in this case if we generated other DS for
input fields RPG compiler returns error because the same field name can't be
in two DS.

This an big problem we have in our try to convert program logic.

Guillermo.