Aaron wrote: <i> Could you provide some basis for why you are introducing this server farm complexity (i.e. DB server separate from app server specifically)?</i>

Greater than some load factor of 10,000 users and beyond, which I stated I was referring to from the beginning. Never should have mentioned it, should have just got 10,000 plus users first and then mentioned it. :)

The point was that I mentioned 10,000 sessions as being bold. First you have at least 20% to 30% higher load factor for web pages than 5250, I wouldn't doubt 200% to 300% if that's what the numbers showed. So we have at least 30% less web sessions that can be handled by a box than 5250 interactive, and I'll be honest with you, I've worked on some of the largest AS/400 / iseries boxes for the last 14 years (smaller ones before that) and I've never heard of 10,000 interactive users. IBM benchmarked 10,000 Domino users one time, and that was a while back, so I have no doubt this baby will handle just about anything we can throw at it.

However, you have to be a little careful of IFS being a bottleneck. Yeah, there are multiple CPU's, but if they are all going after files on the IFS to build webpages it could definitely be a bottleneck.

I also pointed out that the sessions in what I am describing go to 32,000 for a web app server system. If one box can handle that, then great. All I'm saying is that the architecture is not constrained by one box or the data structure dimensioning of 32,000. If one were running a really heavy duty app in terms of customers, that is greater than 32,000 concurrent logged on customers, just for the sake of discussing potential limitations versus the status quo rows of farm PC's, then you could have multiple boxes running 32,000 sessions apiece and accessing a common iseries database server via DDM.

I understand the appeal of one box, and as I repeatedly say *if the load is high enough*, then there are no constraints to this architecture.

I hope that clears up everything. When we max out the largest iseries than I'll pull this post out of my files and see what my plans were. :)

rd