If one iseries can do it we can go to 32K sessions per web app system. But
all I'm saying is that as loads go up high enough you can have multiple
smaller iseries handling CGI with maintained state where the session was
logged in and DDM'ing to a database server.

I must not be following you because you started out your response saying
that was conventional wisdom (to have a server farm) and then you followed
it up with another Wintel approach of needing the DB and App on separate
servers? I don't think you need this, and again, we need to use the
strength of the iSeries by keeping it all on a single server - because it
can.

Certainly not an issue...

In this scenario an issue is being created where one never existed before!
By introducing DDM you potentially add a huge failure point (at least in my
experience of DDM), not to mention the fact that you now need multiple
servers all collaborating together to meet an end goal. Could you provide
some basis for why you are introducing this server farm complexity (i.e. DB
server separate from app server specifically)?

Thanks,
Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com