The thing to keep in mind (at least for me) is that I enjoy learning new
things and I understand not being completely productive for awhile when
learning something new. We are entering into the state of discussion where
we discuss builders and consumers. Many of the people commenting in this
thread are the ones that enjoy building libraries for others to use
extensively. For example, the builders might go out and find a nice looking
Javascript pop-up calendar, hone it to meet your companies needs, and then
require the "consumer" to utilize it in their web page. They still needed
to know *some* Javascript, but it was a whole lot less because of the
generically callable interface put over it by the "builder".

So I guess what I am saying is this is not a black and white discussion.
Anybody saying you don't need to know ANYTHING about HTML/JavaScript/CSS for
EGL I think is incorrect - please remember that we DO NOT have control over
the client rendering program (i.e. the browser). What happens when FireFox
or M$ comes out with the next version of the browser and it alters the
usefulness of a prebuilt EGL UI widget, or what if it completely breaks an
EGL widget? We have seen how responsive-less IBM can be with things like
that (i.e. recall the Vista Client Access discussions last year). This is
where EGL might be great to get a page up quickly for prototyping, but if
you are going to depend on supporting your business with a non-trivial core
business application, you better darn well make sure you have a decent
understanding of the under-the-covers technologies. This is why it is great
to have somebody like Pete H disecting it because he can relate it to other
"free" and open source frameworks and draw up "points to watch out for".

I can see benefits to both sides of the EGL vs. RPG-CGI discussion. Almost
makes me wish we could find a means to an end with EGL so you could pick and
choose which components to use - again this is a "builder" talking.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>