From: Dave Odom

Thanks for the info. If I use EGL, I'd still use it as a front end to
DB2/400 but not calling RPG programs. I'm hoping it can use its own
language to access DB2 better than or like Java, .ASP and .NET AND I'm
hoping it can call DB2/400 Stored Procedures written in SQL.

EGL has direct support for JDBC access when generating Java. So you can
basically embed your SQL statements and then execute them, directing the
results into host variables (including auto-sized arrays). Very powerful
stuff.

Me, I still prefer RPG because I consider it the best tool for the job, but
that's a personal preference and no sense dredging up that particular
argument, eh? <grin>

BTW, will you all compare and contrast EGL with other languages like those
mentioned above? Will you also provide links to documentation? No
hurry.

I don't know about compare and contrast. Read the article, and read my
other EGL articles. The EGL syntax is a very high-level declarative
language, much simpler than Java or C# or PHP. It's based on records, which
are data structure with meta-data.

If you're using WDSC, you can download a trial of the RBD extensions and
take it for a test drive, or go to Jon Sayles' website for lots of tutorial
information.

Joe