Nathan,

I would love to respond to this and will in late January after our
announcements which will coincide with the i5/OS V6R1 announcements. All I
can say is your point is well taken.

On Dec 19, 2007 10:53 AM, Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I hesitate to comment on how IBM prices and bundles their products, but if
the EGL team were to receive credit (money in the bank) for every 5722WDS
license, would that be like robbing from the ILE compiler teams to pay for
the EGL team? If so, I think I'd favor the credit going to the ILE compiler
teams.

Trevor, thanks for drawing Bob Cancilla into the discussion. And Bob,
thanks for giving us an insider's perspective, and being willing to take
some of the flak dished back by some of us from the outside.

Nathan.

----- Original Message ----
From: Trevor Perry <trevor@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 9:19:47 AM
Subject: Re: [WEB400] The Truth About EGL

Joe,

There is just no chance this will work.

Bob Cancilla has shown us this week that Rational consider RPG to be
dead,
and that they consider EGL to be the strategic future for System i.

You believed Bob Cancilla when he first told you EGL tools would never
be
unbundled from WDS - even when everyone else predicted it would happen.
When
it was, you were dismayed. Why would you trust Bob Cancilla after that?
And
why would Rational go back to a bundle that they obviously are against?

It appears that EGL has to be an extra charge so that Rational can make
some
revenue from the existing RPG customer base.

Trevor