From: Nathan Andelin

If a user presses and holds down an arrow key, the highlight bar moves
from row to row in the list at a rate of about 20 rows per second, and
the server is flooded with the same number of requests per second. If
10 users are doing the same thing at the same time, then the server
may
be flooded with about 200 requests per second, but the interface is so
efficient that I can offer applications with this level of interaction
and not worry about performance degradation caused by a high level of
activity.

Nathan, is this on a LAN or over the Internet? Because on a LAN, I believe
a JSP architecture can reach speeds approaching what you're experiencing.
In fact, my clients have modernized RPG programs that allow you to hold the
Page Down key and scroll through 8-10 pages a second. It might not be quite
as fast as what you've got, but then again you're writing pretty much to the
bare metal. A JSP architecture uses Java, but that means that I can offload
all of the HTML formatting process and actually reduce the total load on the
server (and of course in my clients' eyes, it's great because they just
write the program as a standard RPG subfile, and the modernization piece
does all the plumbing work for them).

And I'm not arguing one architecture over the other, I'm just saying that a
well-designed architecture OF ANY TYPE should get you multiple pages per
second without a problem. That's why I have a problem with a lot of the
frameworks; they make it incredibly easy to generate code, the problem is
that the code is terribly inefficient.

I'm going to be putting the latest EGL through its paces and I'll let you
know what I find. I like your design pattern of the arrow-down through a
list with a detail pane being updated. I want to see how much work it takes
to emulate that in EGL.

Joe