I think we will know a lot more in 3 to 5 years. In that time IBM will have
gotten around to deciding how much they will charge for this product, and
hopefully stick to it for more than 6 months. We will also have testament
in numbers of whether or not EGL can step to the mark of mission critical
applications, afterall, why adopt such an infrastructure change unless it
truly can replace reliance on RPG (if that hang-up exists in your shop). Or
will IBM drop it for the next "better idea"? Seems like IBM/Rational is
REALLy struggling with firm longterm direction in the "extending the
iSeries" front over the past 10 years. Where will they settle? I am
guessing the variety of personalities in a growing team is what's caused the
success and failure of past approaches.

The cool thing is that they are still advancing RPG even though it hasn't
been popular for quite some time. I am surprised the large IBM RPG
customers haven't pushed IBM for more advancement to RPG so they don't have
to adopt a modfied software stack (i.e. Net.Data, Java, EGL, VARPG, etc).

Should be an interesting landscape in the near future.

BTW, while I watch the Packers this afternoon I am going to be checking out
EGL with my trial download of RAD 7.0. Looking forward to seeing if it can
deliver all the great things I have heard about it over the past 6 months.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com