Nathan,

Let me do some clarification.

- "Your application" - Yes, I mean your portal application.

- I don't think of your application as a near term solution, quite the
opposite. What I said was, "... probably more than for my needs near term",
which means your application may be more sophisticated for my near term needs
but have long term good consequences.

- Glad to hear you build to a "long view" architecture methodology.

However, do an app architecture like you are doing, even if you
don't build it at first with all the bells and whistles, will allow for
the addition of same, later...

I'm not sure I understand the grammer, but if you're asking whether my
architecture is extensible, and adaptable, I'd say yes, definately! In my
mind, extensibility, adaptability, performance, and scalability are the heart
of good design.

As to the above... Super.

As to the rest of your note... I think we are in heated agreement on all
counts.

So, tell me again, what language(s) did you use to build your application(s)?

I'm still trying to make up my mind which language to use as each of the top
ones (Java and WebSphere, PHP, and .ASP/.NET) has their strengths and
weaknesses. I need a RAD tool and language that is built on a good, long term
architecture and development methodology. I'd like to use Java as its been
around, is server side, is robust and is not platform dependent, BUT, I'm told,
there is a steep learning curve and I don't have the time. I'd like to use
PHP because its server side and less complex than what Java appears to be, but
I'm not convinced there is a good robust non-ODBC access to DB2/400, yet. I
have developed, a little, on .ASP, even though I'm not a M$ fan but I know it
can access the i5 in the ways I need.

Later,

Dave

Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> 6/2/2007 15:44 >>>