From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Walden H. Leverich
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2007 8:57 AM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Windows vs i5/OS as a platform

I have to agree with you here, Aaron. No offense meant, Walden, but I
think
you may be missing one of the primary points, which is that any time a
system error occurs, a message is sent to the joblog. Even more
importantly, that error is consistent, and verifiable, and usually can
be
monitored.

Not really missing the point. I get (and greatly enjoy) the joblog. I don't
know that I'd agree with "any time a system error..." but it is damn close.
However, you do get a decent level of logging in windows event logs too, or
at least you can. But I'm not trying to compare them.

That is, WHENEVER a file doesn't match the program, I get a 4131 error
telling me to recompile the program. Similarly with program not found,
or
file not found, or record locked, or even pointer error. This level of
consistent error reporting make debugging a world easier.

Yes! When system-level problems like these occur you do get the messages.
But as systems get more complex that's not really a help at times. If you've
got a n-tier setup (as you're well familiar with) and the web tier talks to
the business logic which updates the database which fires a trigger with
hits a locked record you will get a message, yes. But in what job? On what
system? To debug these more complicated systems we need better logging and
that's usually in the form of some sort of .log file system.

All I'm saying is, would the joblog be nice on windows? Sure! But is the
lack of the joblog really a problem? No. You're going to get the same level
of information from a (properly implemented) logging system that you'd get
from the job log, if not more. Log4j (commons logging now?) and Log4Net
being the two that come to mind.

-Walden

--
Walden H Leverich III